StatCounter

Wednesday, November 30, 2016

At the crack of noon



I got up bright and early. It's trash day and I don't want to miss hauling my stuff to the road. To prevent bears and other animals from tearing up the bags they always go out at the last minute. Putting bags out the night before would guarantee a mess in the morning.

A mixture of rain and hail was coming down. I hauled in more fuel for the woodstove. After coffee, breakfast and a few chores I went right back to bed. Since I've been sick my sleep schedule is all over the place. With no need to be anyplace, going to sleep when tired just makes sense.

Waking up at the crack of noon I was confused at first. It was darker than it was at 7 a. m.. The clouds thickened up and we have freezing rain. Thought I'd better get this blog post out there while I still can. These are the conditions that take down the local grid. While I'd still have my off-grid power, the Internet would go down.

The roads are ice covered. Some folks are staying home from work. My granddaughter stayed home from school. Last I checked it should end by late afternoon. Hope it does. That would give the salt crews time to sort out the roads.

Hope things clear by this evening. It's pool night at my cousin's and I hate to miss it. I've got my priorities after all.

It might seem foolish to got out at all, but if you wait for perfect conditions you never go anywhere in the winter. This might change to snow and that would be better. Driving on snow is a skill I learned before I had a driver's license. Ice on the other hand can be just impossible.

-Sixbears

12 comments:

  1. ice + auto = large ice skater going nowhere

    even with studs and chain still slide

    Wildflower

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had freezing rain well into the evening. As much as I wanted to head out I decided to stay home. Not sure if it was wisdom or what. To be fair, it was a near thing.

      Delete
  2. Whenever I have to put trash out early I soak a paper towel with ammonia and put it inside the bag. Haven't had any trouble (fingers crossed) with animals. Hope you get totally better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a bear totally ignore ammonia before. No telling with those beasts sometimes.

      I'm feeling good enough to want to do things so that's nice.

      Delete
  3. Brrrrr! It's 61 here this morning, and we are finally getting a taste of winter weather, but nothing like yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You poor thing. :) Well, when aren't used to it, 61 is chill. I'm not fully adapted to the cold yet myself.

      Delete
  4. I remember driving on ice one evening with new studded snow tires on my old GMC with 7.50x16's (good tires). It was all I could do to get home and it helped to keep the outside tire on the berm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ice is nearly impossible to drive safely on. Usually I ease the car off the road and stop somewhere for coffee until conditions improve.

      Delete
  5. With ice and snow plus your chest cold I don't think swimming at your cousins pool would be an option. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brings back memories of when I lived in an area that had real winters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a little reminded of why you now live in TX.

      Delete