StatCounter

Sunday, November 20, 2016

Friends and soup



It's become apparent that social media actually makes us less connected to people. You know how it is, 300 happy birthdays on Facebook but no one calls or knocks on your door.

There's that old saying: Good friends help you move. Really good friends help you move bodies. It's great to have that kind of friend, but remember: he knows how to move bodies.

I've gotten weird requests from friends and you've got to go with it. What do you do when a guy calls you up and asks you for a bottle of peppermint schnapps and a package of straight razor blades? You show up at his door with the booze and blades of course. Turns out he had a little tool accident and needed to remove some metal shards from his arm. The trick is to drink enough schnapps to dull the pain but not so much that you can't make decent cuts with the blade. Yeah, we were young and foolish.

Most often friends will ask you to show up with more prosaic things like a plumbing tools or a chainsaw. Just hope the chainsaw request is not from the same friend who knows how to move bodies.

I've been blessed with some really great friends. They've been there for me when times were tough. When you don't have much money it sure is nice to have friends. Of course, I've been there for them too.

Sometimes you get surprised. My lovely wife's been off taking care of things while I've been convalescing. One guy heard that I was sick so he sent over some of his grandmother's recipe special chicken soup. Did not expect that from him but it's kinda nice. Can't beat Jewish penicillin.

Social media is fine, I guess. Don't really use it myself. I'm more of fan of meeting people in the real world.

-Sixbears

12 comments:

  1. Media friends are better than none, but back-slappin' friends are better yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rest and get well soon, Sixbears - and lots of chicken soup does work wonders!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being laid up is driving me nuts, so I'd better get well soon. At least my lovely wife is getting out some so I don't driver her crazy. :)

      Delete
  3. people you can touch and talk to wind up as real friends

    chicken soup with fresh garlic and ground black pepper works wonders

    and a slug of rum helps too

    get well

    Wildflower

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always got roped in to helping friends move. Can't say any one of them ever helped me move. Sometimes that's the way the cookie crumbles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally had to put my foot down with one of my wife's friends. She was moving every 3-4 months. I told her to get an RV so when she wanted to move she could just unplug and go. Years later she admitted that she probably should have done just that.

      I'd hate to move now. Too many books, tools and toys.

      Delete
  5. I am getting to the age now that I need more help than I can give. Let me know the next time you are in my neighborhood, I bet I can find some projects here for you to do. If not, I bet my wife can find some. . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell you what Dizzy, I'd stop in to visit anyway.

      Delete
  6. I got "chastised" for having a photo on my sidebar that I loved. It said "I'll not only kill for my friends, but I will bury the body too". So remember this: "If you stop being my friend, I know how to bury a body"

    Some people can't even allow themselves to smile.

    When we landed in Death Valley, I went out of my way to BE a friend. I cooked for the injured, ill, or even for their family members in nursing homes. I remember feeling so "at home" when I took some soup to a woman and ironed her clothes while she ate.

    Well, that's more in keeping with Indiana rules than Florida. Sad to say, but I've needed a friend like myself and wish I had one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's life without a little humor, even if it's a bit dark?

      One problem we have living out in the woods that it's out of the way for people to stop by. They still do,but not as often as if we were in town. Trade offs, I guess.

      Delete