StatCounter

Wednesday, November 2, 2016

More Adventures?



I'm searching for an adventure. I'm always searching for an adventure.

That's how my lovely wife and I ended up doing adventures in small sailboats. We had been doing a lot of camping and canoe trips. Her shoulders wore out and needed to be rebuilt. They did a great job, but we weren't going to spend 10 months out of the year canoeing anymore. Still, we both love being on the water. Sailing was a good option for us. We got the quiet that we enjoy on canoe trips without all the paddling.

Don't worry, we are still planning sailing adventures. We are pouring over charts, guidebooks and on-line resources. My lovely wife and I are debating what improvements we are going to do to our boat. Some of that depends on which trips we ultimately decided on.

Some of my ideas for adventures don't interest my lovely wife at all. That's fine. If I want to disappear for a month or two to follow my crazy dreams that fine with her. We will miss each other, but after 38 years of marriage we don't have to spend every minute together to have a solid relationship.

A lot of adventures are outside my limited budget. That's why you won't see me on a chartered trip anywhere. Anything that requires a significant investment just won't happen. As much as I'd love to learn how to fly small airplanes, my budget says no. Fortunately it's a big world with many possibilities

Lately I've been researching a lot of trips for small motorcycles or even scooters. They aren't big enough for highway travel so everything takes place on back roads as slower speeds. That's not a bad way to travel. Right now I'm following some guy who's on a multi year trip from Alaska to Argentina on an old Honda 90. Yes, it's crazy, but that's half the fun.

Right now I don't even have the money for a second hand scooter. I do have my old 1974 KZ 900 that I might be able to get back on the road for small money. A long trip on a 40+ year old motorcycle might be adventure enough.

If I go alone I could do some more long canoe trips. Perhaps an extended trip in my 12 foot homebuilt sailing scow might be just the thing?

When the weather is crappy and I'm stuck inside, that's when these ideas roll around in my head. Not sure if I'll get to do any of these things. It's said that life happens while you make other plans. Then again, if you make no plans at all, nothing happens.

-Sixbears

12 comments:

  1. We all have to be SOMEWHERE, it might as well be somewhere interesting if possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said GM - it doesn't have to be exotic to be an adventure. An adventure to me is an experience that is out of the ordinary. In your location, focusing on the outdoors around you makes sense to me. Winter camping can be quite the adventure.

    The bike trip sounds very interesting, but during the winter months - brrrr ! You are a stronger man than me Gunga Din.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done a fair bit of winter camping. Interests me less than it used to. :)

      I've ridden my bike with the snow flying and while an adventure, it wasn't fun. People thought I was a hard core biker, but the reality was I didn't own a working car.

      Winter is a good time to fix the bike and make plans.

      Delete
  3. The learning to fly bit is not hard at all. If you can walk and chew gum at the same time you can figure it out. It is a matter of getting to the local airport and making some friends. Most are happy to take others flying and share the fun. Back in the early 80s when I got my private pilot ticket I was paying 25$ /hr for the C-150 and 10$/hr for the instructor. Required is 40 hrs, half solo half dual. It took me about 60 by the time I was ready for my check ride. I flew an hour or two most weekends weather permitting. It was the best thing I ever did for myself. Admittedly, if I had to do it all over today I just could not afford to pay for it out of pocket at today's rates. But the requirements for the Light Sport Aircraft (LSA > 1320 lbs gross wt) pilot license are a lot less than the PPL. And so long as you have a valid driver's license you don't have to deal with a medical check every 3 yrs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I stretched the budget I could get a license. I used to work with the local guy who gives lessons. The problem is that I can't afford to keep a plane in the air.

      Delete
  4. A motorcycle adventure sounds like something that this guy would be interested in joining you on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a blast. Guess I'd better get the bike in the basement where I can work on it.

      Delete
  5. Planning and day-dreaming is a sure way to ease the harsh cold north wind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That and turning wrenches to repair the bike should keep my occupied.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like "Cabin Fever" is creeping in fast! I'd move to a warmer climate! Your options become ten fold when its warm!!
    TravelmanNH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's way too early for cabin fever to set in. A bad sign indeed. Better take some vitamin D pills for some bottled sunshine.

      Delete