StatCounter

Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Snow falling on cedars



. . . and hemlocks, and spruces, and pines, and birches, and maples, and beech . . . yeah, it's just snowing around here. It doesn't look like a just snow in the morning and melt in the afternoon sort of thing either. Such is life in the Great North Woods.

I'm slowly recovering from that nasty chest cold. In a day or two I should be well enough to handle a snow shovel. This past week or so it's been all I could do to haul another bundle of bio bricks inside for the woodstove. Actually, some days my lovely wife hauled them in. They are just heavy enough that she uses a dolly to wheel them in. Clever girl. She's been really pushing through her fibromyalgia to get things done. Hope she doesn't hurt herself.

The last good week of decent weather appears to have passed by while I've been sick. The last few outdoor projects are now going to take four times as long. Snow, ice and cold complicate everything. For me, one of the worse is that I've a motorcycle in the driveway covered in show. It should have been in the basement by now. Without snow on the ground I probably could have done the job alone. Now it's going to take three men and a strong boy.

On the bright side, black flies are down to a bare minimum. There's much to be said for all the creepy crawlies dying by the billions every winter. Fire ants don't survive around here. Neither does your average cockroach.

Snow on the ground has eliminated any forest fire danger. That's something to be thankful for. A good snow pack will also reduce the chance of spring fires. If having to shovel is the cost of not burning down, I'll gladly pay it.

If the ski areas can open in time for the Thanksgiving holiday that's a big deal. Should be a good year for them. I'm just down the road from the cross country ski trails of the Nansen Ski Club, the oldest ski club in America. They rely completely on natural snow.

Another bright side to fresh snow is that things have suddenly gotten really quiet around the lake. I'm not the only one being shut down by the weather. It's peaceful.

Part of me is actually looking forward to playing in the snow. It's been years. With any luck I'll be healthy enough to enjoy it.

-Sixbears

11 comments:

  1. It's always nice to see the first snow....everything quiet and white. It gets old by the end, though. We don't get much snow usually here in my part of north Georgia. But when we do it's as if the world is coming to an end and everyone has to have that last loaf of bread and gallon of milks soon as they see the first snowflake. I just hunker down and enjoy the peace and quiet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When it snows in Houston, Momlady, it really is almost the end of the world. Folks here don't have a clue how to drive in it, so the whole city shuts down - except my office, of course. I'm still expected to drive the 25 miles to get there, no matter what. But, when it's in the 50s, I'm cold! Ready for the cold this year, though. Still low 70s here.

      Delete
    2. Snow is normal here and most folks know how to drive in it. When I'm traveling and get hit by a southern snow storm I park the car. While I may know how to drive in it a lot of people don't. They either drive like there's no snow or drive so slow they are a danger.

      Delete
  2. It's a rare event that we even get a frost here, let alone snow. Truly would be Armageddon heh.

    Speaking of head to chest colds, my wife has COPD and came down with a chest bug. Made me start thinking about what I'd do without her... thankfully she is on the recovery now....but guess who's got the same bug now ! Been a week and no real sign of getting better yet. Eating sudafeds and stealing hits of her albuteral makes it at least where a guy can breath. Not that after my accident I'm in very good shape to start with ! This stuff has really knocked my Donald in the dirt !
    All I can state for a certainty, my wife is one strong woman to handle COPD and this bug at the same time keep working.
    Hope y'all get well soon Bear....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been under the weather for almost two weeks.

      A good wife is the best. You are a lucky man.

      Delete
  3. We had our "Squall Winter" here in the last few days. Now I'm hoping we'll get a little Indian Summer. It seems sort of unlucky at this late date, but hope springs eternal. (Or is that love?) lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might get enough rain and warmer weather in the next week to clear the snow for a bit. If so I'll be running around taking care of the last few projects.

      Delete
  4. Over the next few days if you need a strong guy to help you get that motorcycle down to your basement, let me know and maybe myself and another of our friends can help you with this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be cool. We'll keep and eye on the weather. If the snow melts it'll be so much easier to get the bike across the lawn and down the basement.

      Delete
  5. snow can be wonderful as long as you respect it deadly habits

    Wildflower

    ReplyDelete