StatCounter

Sunday, November 13, 2016

Under the weather, up in the mountains



There are a few outdoor projects I'd love to button up but they will have to wait.

I've been pretty low energy the last couple days. Picked up a nasty cold and with my damaged lungs that can always be serious. Basically, I'm just keeping warm and hydrated plus getting plenty of sleep. At one time I'd have pushed through it, but then it takes that much longer to get better. Since I don't have to push right now, I'm not going to.

Hope to feel better in a day or two. My lungs have healed somewhat from my firefighting days. At one time I'd pick up a cough in October and it would hang on until May. I discovered that warm moist sea air was just the thing for my condition. That's one big reason we started to spend so many of our winter days in the south.

Since our shipwreck last winter we've been in recovery mode. Finances have taken a bit longer to recover than planned, but we are making progress. Part of the issue is that we've had to spend more money on winter prep: everything from heating oil, to snow tires to warm socks. I woke up to snow on the ground Saturday. It melted, but it's a sign of things to come.

One of the things I like to do is to search the Internet to see what sailboats are for sale. We are lucky that we enjoy smaller boats. They've fallen out of favor so there are some good choices on the market. It's funny how boats that years ago were considered big enough to travel around the world in are now too small for anything but weekend coastal cruising. The seaworthiness of the boats have not changed. People's expected level of comfort has gone up.

My lovely wife and I still enjoy simple boats. There's a lot less that goes wrong on them. When things break they are easier and cheaper to fix. I'd rather be sailing than waiting for a special qualified mechanic or for exotic parts to come in.

We've been watching a lot of sailing on Youtube. It's a bonus when they are sailing places we've been or places we want to go to. Sea turtle and dolphin watching never gets old. There's something special about a sunset on the water. If you happen to have a rum drink in one hand and a lovely lady in the other, it's even better.

Of course sunsets here in the mountains are special too. Moonlight on new fallen snow is magical, like something out of a fairy tale. We'll be just fine until we hit the water again. The little Oday 19 is on the trailer and almost ready to go. Having that escape pod sitting handy gives me comfort.

With any luck this cold will soon pass and I'll be ready for action again soon.

-Sixbears



22 comments:

  1. Hope you kick it soon. I've read that staying away from sugar and white bread helps your immune system fight better, so you might want to consider it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do that as a matter of course. That's probably why I don't have diabetes like the rest of my dad's family. Good advice.

      Delete
  2. maybe build yourself a floating artificial "island"

    then anchor off some nice southern coast and stay there

    what do you think?

    Wildflower

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the Coast Guard would have something to say.

      Delete
    2. that is what anti-ship missiles are for

      takes care of any federal pirates

      Wildflower

      Delete
  3. Sorry to read you are under the weather. As an asthmatic I have found a cup of coltsfoot and mullein tea to be quite helpful in relieving that tight feel across the chest and easing the cough.

    Recipe if you are interested: 2 cups of boiling water poured over 1 teaspoon each of the dried mullein and coltsfoot leaves. Cover and let steep for about 10 to 15 minutes. Strain and sweeten with honey, if you want. I add a little squeeze of lemon juice just to change up the flavor, too.

    Get well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've started drinking chaga tea to boost the immune system and it seems to be helping.

      Thanks for recommending the other herbal teas. Can't hurt, right?

      Delete
    2. If I had access to chaga I would try give it a try.

      Delete
    3. I happen to live in one of the few areas of the US where it's common. It's just a matter of chopping it up and running it through the coffee grinder.

      Delete
  4. Hope ya get to feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better today than yesterday. Hope I've turned the corner.

      Delete
  5. Judy's suggestions are very good and mullein is so healing and soothing. I haven't tried coltsfood yet.

    I have weak lungs and have gotten relief from oil of oregano which is available at health food stores. You can find out how to use it on the internet. I haven't tried all these natural lung support herbs, but the article is interesting and may be helpful for you.

    http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/9-best-herbs-lung-cleansing-respiratory-support/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet - I will take a look at your link. Thanks for posting it.

      Delete
  6. I meant to type "coltsfoot", but it is 3 a.m. and my fingers don't work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The AllerTrex mentioned on global healing is intriguing. My brother has asthma and I have forwarded this info on to him as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janet. I'll look into it.

      I've had better luck with alternatives than regular meds for a number of issues so I'm open to it.

      Delete
  8. Get well fast friend, you need to get out of town and down here fast before the ice age happens there!
    Today, I did think of a name for your someday new boat. After the shipwreck I think it would be appropriate to name the boat “SS Minnow” (or “SV Minnow”)! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Already had my three hour tour. The "Minnow" might not be the luckiest choice. :)

      We will be here at least until after Christmas. After that it's all up in the air.

      Delete
  9. May your healing be swift and long lasting.

    ReplyDelete