StatCounter

Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Plan B



Okay. To be honest, I really didn't expect Trump to win. With that in mind I thought the only realistic thing to do was to figure out how to survive a Clinton presidency. Welp . . . so much for those plans. Don't get me wrong. I really hated Hillary but expected her to win anyway. Trump didn't thrill me either. Definitely a lose lose election for me.

Obviously one of the first things I'm going to have to do is to figure out how to survive without health insurance. Getting rid of Obamacare is a Trump priority and I believe him. With a Republican Congress that's ready to repeal the program, it will happen pretty quickly. Unfortunately, there does not seem to be any sort of agreement on what to replace it with. In the short term I'm guessing nothing at all. Put me in that category of 20 million people about lose insurance.

On a more local level the election has put my pension in great jeopardy. My state pension has been under attack for years, and now those who've been attacking it have been put in control. The throw the disabled, widows and orphans under the bus crowd came into power with the Trump surge.

You know how people say they will move to Canada if their party loses? I know a couple who've loaded up the RV and are at the border today. Heck, one of my daughters is taking her family up to Canada this weekend. She's wondering if maybe Canada is a better a place to raise a daughter and is checking it out. A guy I used to work with has land in New Newfoundland and full time residency. He's ready to cross the border at a moment's notice.

Revolutions are messy, and that's what this is. Expectations are high -too high. How long will people wait until they get restless? Revolutions have a nasty way of eating their own. Eventually things will sort themselves out, but there will be more losers than winners for a while. I'm not trying to be negative here; just passing on some lessons of History. Revolutionary leaders are quick to eliminate some of the very people who put them in power. It's how they consolidate their position.

Really hope things improve for the better, but I'm making plans for the rocky short term.

Some Trump supporters are going to hate this blog post. Keep in mind I've always tried to pass on survival tips. I want everyone to keep their eyes open and see where things are really going, not where they hoped they'd go. Actually, if I'm wrong about the short term disruptions I'll be happy.

-Sixbears

18 comments:

  1. Could you please elaborate on your pension being in jeopardy? I don't have a pension (had to forego lots of fun spending to ensure I would survive retirement - zero interest rates are not helping), but if I had a pension I'd be angry if I were to lose it. I also would be realistic, I've been reading where these pension plans are factoring in 7 or 8 percent gains to justify pension increases -- that's just not realistic -- is anyone holding the pension trust funds accountable for fantasy/fraud? Personally I'd be happy with a secure/realistic pension vs an inflated amount that then bankrupts the fund for everyone. It's tough out there for everyone right now, good luck. Really enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a plan but got injured while a firefighter. All my savings were used up fighting to get my disability pension. I've been basically living on a pension that pays less than what I made in 1993 and has not gone up.

      There has been a lot of under funding of the pension. The focus was on saving cities and towns the expense of properly funding their contribution. The assumption was that the markets would do so well it wouldn't be needed. You know how that worked out. Instead of facing the problems the problem was kicked down the road. One year they just cut $1000 off my pension. The people who did that are fully in charge now.

      Stuff happens.

      Delete
  2. I, for one, am glad Trump won. If you get right down to it, all elections are a choice between two evils, trying to pick the one that is less evil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get that. What I fear is Trump is both evil and unable to run things.

      Delete
  3. I doubt if you would have been able to continue with your healthcare, hon. Because Hillary's main goal was to support the incoming. You, being an American, were going to end up in jeopardy anyway. I'm sorry for you in a personal way, but like Dizzy, I'm so relieved to be out from under Obama's regime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd figured out how to get by under the old system and now I have to retrain. Obama did not exactly deliver hope and change, but he wasn't trying to burn it all down either.

      Everyone will be excited by Trump for a few weeks and then they'll have to chop wood and carry water like always.

      Delete
    2. "Obama did not exactly deliver hope and change, but he wasn't trying to burn it all down either."

      Damn straight! Thank God Obozo brought in firemen Sharpton and Jackson to cool things down in Ferguson, Baltimore, et al.

      Sarc off.

      Deplorable Lives Matter.

      Delete
  4. I know we have had eight or more years of negative mindset and we got used to thinking that way. It is a hard trend to break. If we truly open the market for health insurance so there is real competition and you can buy it across state lines just like you car or house insurance, the price will drop and the choices will increase. It is a win for the little guy. I was no fan of Trump, but the spell has been broken and it was a major poke in the eye of the establishment fat cats, both in Washington and the media, that have been playing us for idiots for so long. I for one feel a big burden has been lifted off our shoulders. I think there is cause to feel optimistic. And the first step to success is to visualize a positive outcome. The alternative was a perpetuation of the same misery we have seen for the last eight years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A message has been sent. I get that. Only wish we had a better messenger instead of the groper in Chief.

      I will survive as I always do. My eyes are open.

      If there was truly competition insurance should become affordable. The transition will leave a lot people in the lurch.

      I remember when my insurance group was all disabled firefighers. We died in droves from cancer and heart problems. My insurance was silly expensive.

      Delete
  5. While I supported Trump I have no delusions that his time will be a smooth ride. You know it takes time to turn a ship and this one is a Barge. The first thing on insurance will be allowing all insurers access to any state.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is chance that a totally open market will do things like focus on just those people they can make a lot of money on and to heck with the rest.

      Delete
  6. I don't have your total disrespect for Trump, but I've always believed that things are going to go south no matter who won. The situation is international, like the Great Depression, NOT national. Plus, the globalists may deliberately try to crash the U.S. economy earlier than planned, just to spite Trump. We decided last night to sell out if Hillary won. I'm glad we won't have to, though I STILL expect things to worsen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a lot of hope there Gorges.

      At least we won't be bored.

      Delete
  7. No lover of the Loud-mouth Hairball here, either. But my dislike of Crooked Cankles was causing my blood pressure to rise.

    I'm still trying to figure out why the 'Owners' of this country allowed him to be elected. Did they dislike her so much, they double-crossed her? And what agenda is really up Trump's sleeve? The 'Owners' don't let someone join the Billionaires Club without them knowing you better than you know yourself. Time will tell, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't suspect that a billionaire who's gamed the system all his life won't fit into the system?

      Lot of things don't make sense to me, but I'm just a bear in the woods.

      Delete
  8. I hope you will keep us updated on your daughters trip up north. I read that the US crashed their immigration website today.

    ReplyDelete