StatCounter

Friday, November 4, 2022

Old School Solar Electric



Almost 30 years ago I installed solar electric at my house. The original solar panels are still working just fine and putting out decent power. Another original component is the Trace 24 DC  to 120 AC inverter. The charger function stopped working a couple years ago. All I did was wire up a 24 volt stand alone charger on a switch. That allows me to top off the batteries from the grid. The inverter part still works just fine. Considering one of the items it runs is a ½ horse submersible well pump that’s saying something. There’s a significant power demand when the pump comes on. 


The charge controller was still working but I changed it out for a much more efficient Outback controller. About the same time more solar panels were added. 


I’m using 6 volt golf cart batteries and get about 10 years out of them. About the only maintenance I do on the whole system is to occasionally top off the batteries with distilled water. There’s something to be said for a technology that just works. 


Most of the new systems people are installing are grid tied. That eliminates the whole battery bank issue. Of course, if you are off-grid you definitely need batteries. The problem with the grid tied is that when the grid goes down those solar panels aren’t doing you any good. Some people spend a bit more money and also install some battery backup for those emergencies. 


Since local grid power just took an almost 50% price increase I’m seriously thinking about more solar upgrades. I’m not sure if I’m going to expand my old stuff or add another complete stand alone system. Currently there’s a small system powering my boat shed next to the lake. It was easier to put in a separate system rather than maintain the 350 feet of power lines strung through the trees.  


Solar was one of the best investments I’ve ever made. When times got tight for a while it was a comfort to know I had power that could not be cut off by some heartless corporation. 


-Sixbears

5 comments:

  1. Considering the age of the original system, perhaps keeping the new system separate, might be the way to go.
    Thanks, and I appreciate you and your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been pondering upgrades to my own dilapidated abode. Prices are what is keeping me from taking that big step.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing is going to get cheaper. A few hundred watts is pretty sweet when that's enough to keep lights and such going. A neighbor did it so he could power his pellet stove when we lost power. That and LED lightbulbs gives him something worth a lot without firing up the generator.

    Speaking of dilapidated abodes, the ability to repair your home from various chaos issues (like a storm-tossed branch through the window) is pretty important. I keep a chaos kit with a headlight, gloves, tools and sheet plastic set up because when the nor'easter is blowing into the grid down house it's a poor time to be searching for shoes, roll of plastic and Fastners.

    My house gets really cold fast with a large broken window. Tested that theory a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete