StatCounter

Saturday, November 5, 2022

The Stuff We Worry About



More often than not we worry about the wrong stuff. We can be all caught up in our little world, worrying about one issue or another. 


Then some other stuff happens out of the blue and all those other problems are forgotten. Take some poor Ukrainian worrying about normal stuff. Maybe he can’t figure out why his washing machine isn’t draining right. Perhaps his car is making a funny noise. Then thousands of Russian troops come pouring across the border. He’s not going to be spending his time looking for the washing machine warranty papers.


Take all those people who got hit by Hurricane Ian. They had normal issues like everyone else. Maybe the boss at work was on their case. The noisy neighbor was bugging them about the long grass on their lawn. A massive hurricane and storm surge drives all that from one’s mind.


People could be all worked up about anything, but a massive earthquake will drive those worries away. Nothing like life threatening terror to refocus the mind.


So think about all that crap you are losing sleep over. Would any of it matter much if a major disaster suddenly hit where you live? It’s good to keep things in perspective.


A buddy of mine and myself have a saying. Things could be going wrong but we say, “At least no one is shooting at us.” 


Now don’t you feel silly for getting ulcers over day to day stuff? 


-Sixbears

8 comments:

  1. It's funny, in a way.

    I went to law school 20 years after graduating college. In that time, I served in the military.

    So anyway, a lot of my classmates were scared of a certain contracts professor, who was really tough. I wasn't. When one of my classmates asked why I wasn't afraid of her, I said: "I've worked for people who had the power to order me to go to die. All she can do to me is give me a bad grade."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Comrade, I had one of those types around me at one time too. I married her. 80)

      Delete
    2. Perspective is everything. Except for you John.

      Delete
    3. A change of glasses is wonderful for perspective. 89)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. If I'm exchanging shots something's gone seriously wrong with my planning. Hasn't happened in years, but it did happen.

      Delete
  3. A lot of people spend a lot of time worrying about things they have little or no control over and not enough time thinking about things they can address.

    ReplyDelete