StatCounter

Monday, April 17, 2023

A Tale of Two Brothers


I just spend the weekend in the Manchester NH area. My best friend died but before he passed he asked me to speak at his funeral. Of course you have to say yes to a buddy’s dying wish. 


It was easy to say nice things about him because he was a genuinely nice guy. He always had a great attitude and never complained. The man was always willing to lend a hand and made friends easily. 


His positive attitude was a choice he made as a young child. When his parents divorced neither of them wanted the kids. There was my friend and his older brother. His brother had an awful lot of anger and struck out at an unjust world. His life was full of turmoil and he even did some time in prison.


My friend decided he did not want that much anger in his life. Instead of focusing on being abandoned by his parents, he focused on the fact his loving grandparents took over and raised him. He had a much better life because of it. 


Even when dying of cancer his positive attitude never faltered. He reflected that he accomplished all he wanted to do in life. He died at home surrounded by his loving family. There are worse ways to go. 


-Sixbears

9 comments:

  1. Sorry for the loss of your friend, sounds like you had a good friendship. Cletus

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of truth in your story. We don't control what happens TO us but we control how we React to life.

    A good friend is hard to bury, I've comforted the dying too often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to miss him something awful.

      Delete
    2. You will miss him is the greatest Eulogy you can give to a dead person. His fond memories will be there to comfort you for your whole life.

      Delete
  3. My sincere condolences kind sir. I'm still smarting from a recent loss and feel your grief.
    It sounds like your friend had a good attitude to life. I'll take inspiration from that and spread it forward.

    ReplyDelete