StatCounter

Friday, April 21, 2023

The end of oil



No, not the end of everyone’s oil. It’s the end of my heating oil. I bought a minimum order back in March and it’s gone now. We are looking at 50 – 60 degree days and temps in the 30 to 40 degree range at night. We really don’t need heat as the plumbing won’t freeze.


However, it’s not that comfortable. Fortunately, firewood grows on trees. There’s a lot of dead and down wood around my house. Most of it is nice dry maple and that burns really well. It doesn’t take that long to haul branches over to the driveway and cut them up. 


There’s also the bonus of being able to cook on the woodstove, saving electricity. 


I might have to mess around with firewood for several weeks but warmer days are coming. Most of the time the woodstove will only have to be lit in the evening. It’s all good. 


-Sixbears

6 comments:

  1. I love the smell of good burning wood. Makes me feel all's well in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wood fire is something special that appeals to our basic nature.

      Delete
  2. Sixbears do you have enough stacked firewood to replace oil heat next winter?

    I doubt the price of heating oil is going down.

    And a summer kitchen out under a roof is a great way to enjoy cooking without adding too much heat inside the house for the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, but I will be in better shape than last winter -and we got through last winter.

      Delete
  3. Ok, the comment feature blurped on my end. When my MIL died in 2013 my wife had to sell her house. It was in Houston. My FIL bought in 1969 for $49,000. Nice 3 br, 2 1/2 bath house, two story with a detached garage in a great neighborhood, tennis club, things like that. Wife sold it for $450,000+ and the buyer TORE THE FUCKING PLACE DOWN and built a McMansion. So it goes.

    ReplyDelete