StatCounter

Tuesday, April 11, 2023

The Invisible Man



The State of New Hampshire made funds available for heating assistance due to the massive spike in heating costs. They raised the allowable income level quite a bit. Theoretically, we qualify. For months now we’ve been going back and forth trying fill out their paperwork. When you don’t pay taxes, don’t have a 1099 form, and don’t pay into Social Security, you don’t exist. 


Instead my lovely wife and I have been scrambling to find alternative documentation. Here it is the end of heating season and we still haven’t been approved. There’s just a couple days left before the clock runs out. Right now it looks like it could go either way. Some people in the office think we are set, others can’t believe we don’t actually have the documents they want. 


Bureaucrats aren’t very good at putting round pegs in square holes.


At least I have a Social Security number. Really I do. I know of a family where nobody has a Social Security number. How they managed to get things like driver’s licenses and passports was beyond me. The patriarch of the family tried to explain it to me but I got lost. Judges were involved. He did manage somehow, but it was even worse than my adventures in paperwork.


-Sixbears

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yeah. However, I'd really hate to leave free money on the table this time around.

      Delete