StatCounter

Saturday, April 29, 2023

Rural Life Achilles Heel



I love living out in the country. Being out in nature soothes my soul. Fishing and hunting are only footsteps away. Heck, just being able to sit outside by the campfire drinking a coffee is special. It’s also great to be able to do my projects without worrying about complaining neighbors. 


However, the big downside is that modern rural life requires cars or trucks. It’s not like there’s a subway or bus stop out in the forest. Everything is a drive away. Worse yet, on any given day the three drivers in our house may need to go three different directions. 


Currently we are down to one car and my 150cc scooter. It’s going to take some time to get the Blazer street legal again. If our one remaining car breaks down it’s going to be hugely inconvenient. I’m the only one licensed to drive the scooter. 


Rural life requires wheels. My niece is looking to get a small 49 cc scooter that won’t require a special license. That’s a small scooter but big enough to make it into town. A good friend is setting me up with another vehicle, but it’ll be a few weeks before I can even look at it. It spent the winter by a cabin on a seasonal road. It ran well before it was parked, but the battery is definitely dead now. From what I’ve been told it should be road legal. We shall see. 


If that new vehicle works out that will give me more time to do a better job on the Blazer. 


Living out in the country there is almost no escaping car ownership. Such is life.


-Sixbears

2 comments:

  1. Wheels are important. Things get done with wheels. Walking sucks, trust me.

    ReplyDelete