StatCounter

Thursday, April 20, 2023

The Starving Time



Spring used to be known as the starving time. That’s when you find out if the food you stored last year was enough. In the old days sometimes it wasn’t. It’s still going to take some time before anything of significance is ready from the garden. While we’ve had some good weather it was snowing Wednesday morning. On the bright side now that the ice is off the lake the fishing is easier. 


The starving time came to mind when I came across a very large raven. It was on the body of a winter kill deer. The bird looked ready to take on all comers to protect its food bounty. 


This is also the time of the year when the bears come out of hibernation and are hungry. Their search for food brings them in contact with people. That usually doesn’t turn out too well for the bear. 


It’s a good time of the the year to check out your food storage. While I still have plenty of beans, my rice stocks are lower than I thought they were. Some people take meticulous records of their food storage. Good for them. I’m a bit less precise. 


Rice might be in shorter supply and more pricey this year. There are reports that world wide rice stocks are low. If you need it, buy it. Don’t wait for deals as there might not be any. Even expensive rice is still pretty cheap calories. 


You don’t want to get caught short during the starving time.


-Sixbears

4 comments:

  1. Excellent observations Sir!

    2 years worth of rice and beans is still pretty cheap and will help extend your far more expensive food buys. Kept cool, dry and free of rodents most dry beans are good for three years before pressure cookers or grinding them is needed. 5 gallon pails and lids help.

    The rice and beans you see in Walmart is last year's production. I checked the packing dates and the older stock is gone.

    This year's crop is looking "interesting" as in Chinese curse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I'm not the only one who's noticed that the crop looks . . . inadequate?

      Delete
  2. It is that time of year, the warmer weather is sneaking it's way into our lives. I'm doing a clean out myself of stuff. I don't like to be hungry much. I'm sort of coming out of hibernation myself now that I think of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather better be warming soon. I just ran out of heating oil. However, there's plenty of dead and down around the house now to feed the woodstove.

      Delete