StatCounter

Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Shade Tree Body Work


I took the Blazer into the garage today to get some brake work done. Changing brake lines while lying on my back in a semi-frozen driveway is not my idea of fun. The garage informed me that even with the brakes fixed it would not pass state inspection. It all comes down a fair bit of body rot. Road salt and rust takes its toll on those old Blazers. 


With the current price of vehicles it only makes sense to patch it up. The engine, transmission, and frame are all solid. Of course, paying a body shop to do the job is out of the question. It doesn’t have to look perfect and I can certainly do imperfect myself. 


Of course, I still have snow and ice on the ground here. It’s going to take a few weeks before it’s warm enough to work outside. I do miss having a garage to work in. Good thing I’ve a second vehicle. On the downside the car can’t tow the boat or utility trailer. 


Over the years I’ve done a lot of shade tree body work. That’s what you do when you have more time than money. On the bright side it’ll be a good excuse to pick up a few new tools. 


-Sixbears

6 comments:

  1. Hey Ray, Glad you're back. I've had some bad Blazer dreams my ownself in the past. Had a rear seal blow destroying my four wheel drive on the black one. I think you'll remember rescuing me at the mall. 80). That was many moons ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least the older Blazers had a frame as I recall in the 70's the Barracks pass me down mid 50's VW Bug was mostly a patchwork of repairs for rust.

    Uni-body construction is interesting to repair rust on.

    Good luck and please take warm up breaks as the ground is darn cold right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've avoided unibody tow vehicles as the rust just tears them apart and there is no fixing them. There was one vehicle that the price was so good I was tempted. I took some photos of the rust and a welder and mechanic said they wouldn't touch it. Glad I passed.

      Delete
  3. I didn't have to deal with Car cancer until I moved out East. Cars don't rust in the western realms, no oceans and at least when I was young, towns didn't use salt on roads just sand. We used to be able to tell where the vehicle came from by the amount of wear and rust it showed up with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I avoid FL vehicles as too many of them got flooded with salt water. They rust from the inside out and the problems never end.

      Delete