StatCounter

Sunday, October 22, 2023

Another Doctor Trip



Ho boy. Don’t I love going to doctors. . . or not. Even better I went back for the same old recurring problem I’ve been dealing with for months. 


Basically I’m suffering from infected leg ulcers. It’s painful and annoying. It doesn’t help that often treatments have make the condition worse instead of better. 


However, today was encouraging. I spent a good part of the morning with a doctor, student doctor and a nurse. We went over all my experiences and separated out what worked and what did not. Finally I have a treatment program that’s tailored to my needs. 


For example one complaint is that the antibiotics I’ve been taking seem to knock out about 95% of the infection and then I’m taken off them. Over the course of a few weeks the infection comes roaring back. This time around we are working from lab tests to target the exact infection and hitting it with something more heavy duty. That’s just one part of the treatment. 


To be fair my issue presents just like a diabetic ulcer. As an old fat guy I look like the typical diabetic patient. They finally got around to doing a diabetic blood test (A1C). Not only am I not diabetic I’m not even pre-diabetic. No wonder that treatments designed for diabetics don’t work. 


My leg circulation problem is most likely rooted in years of physical trauma caused by numerous mishaps over the years. I lived a rough and tumble life for a while there. I know that once the wound is finally healed I’ll be able to resume my walking program. That does wonders for my circulation. The catch 22 right now is that my leg is not up to long walks until the wound is cured. 


I feel I’m working with a good team right now and they are closely monitoring my progress. None of this would have possible until I finally got health insurance through Medicare. I’m probably lucky I made it to 65. 


-Sixbears

5 comments:

  1. My guess , would be poor circulation.
    When you don't get enough exercise, everything atrophies . This i know from my own experiences.
    Old age is a condition , that we all get the privilege of going through. It is tough to recoup from and quite painfully. Ask me how I know lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The doctors don't even want me to exercise until the wound clears up. Can't wait to get the okay to resume my hikes. Movement is key to being healthy.

      Delete
  2. Remember you know a fella that can tailor make a program just for you. After all working out booboo's is an art all in itself.

    ReplyDelete