StatCounter

Tuesday, August 13, 2024

Appliance Gambling



It’s no secret that most major appliances are no longer built to go the distance. The Maytag repairman is no longer a lonely bored guy. Actually, I bought a Maytag washing machine once and it was the worse I ever owned. Little did I know they were being made in China at the time and were coasting on their old reputation. This one’s big problem was a recurring transmission oil leak. The laundry room floor would get covered in sticky goo and heaven help you if it got on clothes. The repairman just topped off the oil then threw the empty jug in the woods. My woods. By the time I noticed what a crappy job he did the guy had moved out of town. 


So now my current front loader machine is on its way out. Over the years I’ve performed numerous repairs on it but eventually you reach a point of diminishing returns. On the bright side I was able to stretch its life beyond the 5 – 7 years of most washing machines. 


Unfortunately, I really didn’t have a new machine in this years budget. Next year we should be in much better shape. However, clothes have to get washed between now and then. The local dealer in used appliances had a few machines. For less than half the price of the cheapest new ones I got a clean used washing machine, delivery and installation, and removal of the old. 


If you really want a decent machine get the same brands your local laundromat uses. Of course, something like a Speed Queen will go for around $1200 or so. Ouch! Then again: quality only hurts once. 


-Sixbears


6 comments:

  1. Got a Speed Queen 20 years ago, still works great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I'd better save up my pennies and get something good.

      Delete
  2. Speed Queen for the win.

    Make sure you get the classic model.

    Ours has been going through multiple loads daily without a hitch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speed Queen classic as mentioned.

    There's a darn good reason they are in laundromats.

    Your kids might want in in your Will, buddy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang! My plan is to die broke with all my stuff worn out. :)

      However, not having to deal with replacing a washing machine again would be nice.

      Delete