StatCounter

Saturday, August 10, 2024

No Bad Weather


There’s a saying: there’s no bad weather, just bad gear. There are some variations on the saying. I found multiple sources with different claimed origins. At any rate I’m sure it’s from somewhere that gets a lot of rain. 


Right now my home town feels like it’s part of the New England rain forest. It’s hard to get decent enough weather to mow the lawn. It sure grows well with all the rain. 


Gardens are a mixed bag. Some things are doing well -others, not so much. I’ve noticed that large potatoes have mushy centers. That’s caused by too much water, or so I’m told. One of the issues is that when it’s raining the sun isn’t shining. Plants need sun too. 


My solar electric system has had an interesting summer. There are days when the panels are generating power like crazy. Other days I have to rely heavily on the battery bank to get us through. Now and then it’s been necessary to charge the battery bank off the grid. 


So back to my gear. I’m a big fan of decent rain ponchos. Don’t bother with those thin flimsy ones that self destruct in a light breeze. Get something heavy enough to do double duty as a tent ground cloth if necessary. The poncho is easy to throw on and off for quick trips outside. 


What I’m lacking is something suitable for wearing on the scooter. I’ve a decent Columbia rain jacket but it’s a tad tight. Good thing I’m losing weight. That still leaves me in need of a decent pair of rain pants. It would be great to have something easy to slip on and off over my regular clothes.


Anyway, judging by the change in our weather patterns, it won’t hurt to have more rain gear. 


-Sixbears

2 comments:

  1. LOL, Big Bears need a circus tent sized rain suit.
    Might be difficult to find . I have a sweat suit/ rain gear that I always carried on the motorcycle.
    It's in extra large cos I'm a fairly larger than average person...but I've stood next to you and I'm afraid it'd be too small for you my friend..
    You might be losing weight but even a skin and bones SixBear would be a big boy lol
    If you can find a suit large enough , I'd imagine a higher end one would be cost prohibitive

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Big Cammo has something suitable in a 6x. :)

      Delete