StatCounter

Wednesday, August 7, 2024

Scooter Plans Moving Along



The Scooter Cannonball plans are moving along. There have been a couple of major developments. One of my daughters is definitely driving me and the scooter to the Northwest coast. That’s a lucky break. Seaside Oregon is a long long way from northern New Hampshire. The road trip out there should be fun. 


The second thing is reserving my hotels for the event. That took a huge chunk of change. I had toyed with the idea of spending some time in campgrounds. However, after long days in the saddle a climate controlled room with a shower will be hugely appreciated. I can also lighten up the bike by not having all kinds of camping gear with me. 


I’m debating on splitting the room costs with other riders. However, for right now, having my own personal space and schedule might be worth the cost. 


The destination cities and official hotel list came out on August 3rd. A couple of days later some of the hotels were already booked up. Considering there’s 300 riders registered this year that’s no surprise. Add in more rooms for the event organizers. That add some more rooms for people’s individual support crews. I’m glad I didn’t try to do this booking a few weeks before the event. 


So how do I get home after the event? South Padre Island Texas is still about 2500 road miles or so from where I live. Right now I’m toying with two options. Option one: a good friend picks me and the scooter up and takes us home. A buddy has friends who actually live on South Padre and he’d love to drive down and connect with them. 


The second option is to have my camping gear shipped to my sister-in-law’s place in Texas. From her place I could take my time going home and camp most nights on the way back. There are some places along the way that would pretty cool to visit. It’s a big country with a lot of things to see. 


Progress is being made. There haven’t been any show stoppers yet. 


-Sixbears

6 comments:

  1. How many miles on the scooter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just under 10,000. It's been well maintained.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good to have family that loves you enough to support an expensive (in hours away from work, gasoline, and such) bucket list trip.

    Support, what family should do for each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My lovely wife and I raised some good kids who've become good people. I am lucky that my self-employed daughter is willing to put business on hold for a couple weeks. We both love a road trip.

      Delete
  4. Like as not you're familiar with a youtube channel "Scooter Tailwind" but if not there is a video posted on how they prepared a Honda adv150 for the Cannonball. Worth 12 minutes of your time if you haven't viewed it already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a subscriber. I think I'll watch it again. Their ADV150s are a slightly more off-roady version of my PCX 150.

      Delete