StatCounter

Tuesday, August 27, 2024

To freeze or not to freeze



I’ve been thinking about our food storage situation. It’s always evolving as needs change. One thing I haven’t owned for sometime is a stand alone freezer. Years ago I had a big side by side freezer and took part in one of those frozen meat delivery services. That only lasted about a year. The food was okay, but not really that great a deal. 


To make matters worse the freezer wasn’t very efficient. Even keeping it in a cool basement didn’t seem to reduce the electrical usage all that much. Eventually it just sat there empty and gathering dust. I sold it soon after. A friend who owned a restaurant had their freezer suddenly die and needed one in a hurry. They made a good offer on mine and brought a crew over to haul it away. 


The other day my lovely wife and I were in a big box store and they have a nice little 4.9 cubic foot chest freezer on sale. It’s tempting. One of the interesting features is that it can also be used as a refrigerator -all depending on the temperature setting. I might even replace my regular fridge one day. Those freezers are really efficient when used that way. Even if I don’t like it as a freezer there is that option. 


It would be nice to take advantage of bulk sales, plus hunting season is just around the corner.


-Sixbears

7 comments:

  1. What is the brand of the freezer and what big box store please.

    An adjustable fridge-freezer would be nice.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a larger chest freezer and its lower power use and far better than upright. Opening the lid does not dump cold air like uprights do. I use it as deep freeze as in very cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely; I don't think my 24 cubic footer uses more than $50 per year. It saves a lot of money if you buy meat on sale and in bulk (think buying a whole pork shoulder, and cutting it into several steaks, lumps for stir fry, and one small roast containing the scapula.) It's also great for storing garden veg; and you can freeze foraged berries on a cookie sheet (so that they won't stick after you scrape them into a freezer bag.
      But be careful; no big freezer is big enough. Store primary ingredients only; keep leftovers in the refrigerator until you use them or toss them.

      Delete
    2. My mistake was getting a side by side instead of a chest as it was a power hog. Probably poorly insulated too.

      Delete
  3. My dad had a big side-by-side when I was a kid, and a deal with the butchers that they would come out and slaughter a cow and then deliver half of it to put in that freezer.

    -Doug in Sugar Pine

    ReplyDelete