StatCounter

Tuesday, April 5, 2022

Can’t afford an apartment



I’ve come to the realization that, if I had to, I’d be hard pressed to afford even a one bedroom apartment in town. It’s actually cheaper for me to live in my water front home on the lake. Good thing we bough the place when we did. 


Living out in the country allows all kinds of savings. The house has its own well and septic. There’s room to do projects that save me money. Cars can be repaired in the driveway. Fishing and hunting is a short walk away. One year we heated with dead wood gathered within walking distance of the house. The solar electric system provides a significant portion of our electricity. There’s a small garden. 


All these things have somewhat isolated me from price increases. Good thing as my income has not gone up in years. My return on this place is much better than most investment plans. 


The sad thing is that very few young people could do this today. Wages have not kept up with inflation. It’s very hard to gather enough money together to buy independence. No wonder the antiwork movement has taken off. If you can’t reap the rewards of the system, why even play the game?


-Sixbears

No comments:

Post a Comment