StatCounter

Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Scooter project



The weather has not been cooperating with scooter projects. Between the rain and cold it’s been pretty nasty working conditions. I’m not as willing to work in the cold as I used to be. We’ve had some days where temperatures rose up into the 50s, but it doesn’t hit those temperatures until well into the afternoon. It takes time to warm up from those below freezing mornings. 


Currently I’m changing the rear tire on my Honda PCX 150. Every tool used is noted so that a scooter specific tool kit can be put together. The shop manual helps, but not quite every tool is covered, especially when things don’t go quite to plan. Right now I’m spending more time hunting down tools than actually doing the work. I wish I had a dedicated shop space but you make do with what you have. 


I’ve some long trips on the scooter planned and need to know how to do my own work. That can be the difference between a good trip and a failed one. 


Even though I didn’t have much time to work on the bike, I was able to remove the rear wheel. Next I’ll be replacing the tire. Mounting tires is something I haven’t done since I was a teenager. At least I should have all the tools for that job. 


It’s been fun to turn wrenches again, especially for a project that’s not time critical. Better to learn how now than on the side of road far from home. 


-Sixbears

9 comments:

  1. With these gas prices I'm going to haul my Suzuki Bergman 400 scooter to a nearby repair guy. It's been sitting in a shed, un touched, for over 3 years. Fuel injected, so hoping it's not too extensive. Nabbed an eBay fuel tank and filter, with pump just in case.
    65 mpg at 65mph....supposedly, but prolly not with my 335lbs riding on it.
    Glad you have returned to the blogosphere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Bigfoot! The Bergman is a great scooter. I weigh more than you and do just fine on a 150. I don't go on the highway, but the roads around here are 40 - 55 so the scoot does just fine.

      Delete
  2. Been in low 90s here in north central TX. First yard mowing any day now. Tomatoes are in the ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The snow just melted out of my yard. There's still ice on the lake.

      Delete
  3. Some of those small tires are the worst to change out. Hope you have proper tire irons. Especially if it's a tubeless type.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought new irons. Right now my problem is setting bead. Tomorrow I'm going to use my cousin's bigger compressor and see if that'll do the job. Between that and a ratchet strap it should be good.

      Delete
    2. Well , you could always use the butane method...but a decent ratchet strap should do it.

      Delete
    3. Not ready to go with explosives.

      Yet.

      Delete