StatCounter

Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Ice Fishing



I think I’m going to get back into ice fishing this year. It’s been a while but I still have all the stuff. What that means is that I’m not going south for the winter again. Ice fishing went by the wayside when I was sailing off the coast of Florida instead. Ice fishing is not the reason I’m staying north, but since I’m going to be around I might as well go fishing. 


One thing that makes ice fishing a whole different experience is what we locals call a “Bob House.” That’s an ice fishing shack right on the ice. Instead of sitting out in the icy wind one can sip coffee and play cards while watching the traps. Believe me that makes all the difference. 


Back in the day my dad had a nice little comfortable shack with a propane stove and heater. It could be -10 F with the wind howling and we’d be in shirt sleeves. The only problem is sometimes the flag would go up on the fishing trap and someone would have leave the comfy shack to actually catch a fish. 


I’ll throw together a nifty little fishing shack sometime this fall. It will even have a small solar electric system for the sound system, electronics, and lights. This is the 21st century after all. 


-Sixbears

7 comments:

  1. Uh , hate to break the news to ya Bear , but summer is done shot and fall is upon us.
    Guess you'll be heating with oil and presto logs once again.
    Can't help myself , I gotta poke the bear lol,...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't Bob Houses also come with the hole in the shack type?

    ReplyDelete