StatCounter

Sunday, September 17, 2023

Top off the food storage



It looks bad for grains this year. It’s no surprise that wheat will have a lot of pressure on it. It doesn’t help that two major producers are at war with each other. Rice didn’t do too bad this year, over all, but prices will be pushed up anyway. All grains will feel pressure as people look for substitutes for wheat. 


Grains are generally a fairly cheap way to bulk up food storage. If you absolutely feel the need for wheat get some now. It most likely won’t get cheaper for a while. Personally, I’m adding more rice to my storage. It’s still a pretty good bargain as most Americans don’t eat a lot of rice. There’s a lot more pressure on rice in other parts of the world. 


Last year I bought potatoes in bulk. That worked out so well I’m doubling my purchase this year. Potatoes are local and keep well. My only mistake last year was not buying enough. I don’t figure on my niece moving back in with us. 


Don’t mess around buying spuds in the five pond bags. A friend of mind was shopping at his local store in Kentucky. He thought the five pound bag of potatoes seemed a bit light. He weighed it on the scale and it was only three and a half ponds. He tried a number of bags before finding an actual five pounder.  Buyer beware.


-Sixbears

9 comments:

  1. 6 Bears could you tell me how to better store potatoes? I've found way too soon they are sprouted and shriveled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't do anything special. My mud room is a cool dry place and that's pretty much what you need. Putting them in something like a wooden ventilated box should help but I've been able to just leave them in the bag.

      Delete
    2. Probably my issue keeping them "Handy" near the warm kitchen.

      Guess a potato box in my cool damp garage and a handy supply at hand.

      Delete
    3. That should work -unless it's too damp.

      Delete
  2. Move to Idaho 40 to 50° celler at say 10% humidity.
    Here in Florida, grow sweet potatoes instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the summer time I have a hard time storing potatoes. During the cooler seasons I put them low in an entry way that stays cool. I also make it a habit to only buy a few pounds at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be stocking up shortly and they should easily last over the winter and spring.

      Delete
  4. Nice part about overwinter potatoes, you have seed stock.

    BTW I've tried out fall sowing of potatoes. If you protect them from voles and mulch them well, they pop up before I start planting the spring potato patch.

    ReplyDelete