StatCounter

Tuesday, September 12, 2023

Small business idiots



It wasn’t all that long ago that it was extremely rare for a small business owner to promote their politics at their business. It’s not a mystery. Why upset potential customers for nothing? 


These days, however, I see a lot of local small business promoting their political alliances. For some strange reason a lot of those businesses are struggling. A number of them have out of business. Perhaps they don’t realize that at least half the country might disagree with them? It’s easy to go on social media and get into an echo chamber where everyone appears to think like you. 


Not only are these companies losing business some of them can’t even get employees. One of my friends was so disgusted by the open politics at his job that he quite and went to work for a competitor. He just wants to clock in and do his job, not get into political debates. 


It’s one thing if your business is on-line and draws from a very large pool of people. Maybe blatant partisan politics can even be a bonus there. (if you are selling something like red hats) If your business relies on local customers it makes sense to not limit your customer base. 


I see where one local sandwich shop business quietly took down all their political signs and slogans. Too bad for them I’ve since found a different shop I enjoy more. 


-Sixbears

2 comments:

  1. When are we going to have to buy a hunting permit to vote?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL at least my voting station requires a picture ID. I'm wondering what "variant" of COVID will be needed to force NO ID mail in ballots again.

    But I do agree with 6 Bears, even if I happen to tolerate your politics, your services better be worth the annoyance. I go to a sub shop for a great sub sandwich, better than I create at home.

    ReplyDelete