StatCounter

Monday, March 21, 2022

Doom scrolling



It’s really tempting to get sucked into the steady gloom and doom out there. My news feeds are full of war reports and ongoing pandemic issues. I must admit to leaning into the news a bit much sometimes. Watching Russian armor blow up never seems to get old.


While world events concern me my ability to change outcomes is limited. What I have control over is how I’m going to deal with the repercussions. Fuel and food prices and availability are already serious issues. That has the potential to get a lot worse. There are things I can do to deal with things on the home front.


My garden space is limited and we are already doing what we can there. There are wild edibles around me and we plan to harvest more of them. I am fortunate to live on a lake with good fishing. All I have to do is to walk down to the water, grab a pole, and launch a canoe. There’s a decent variety of edible species and it’s possible to trap a good number of crayfish. Gotta love those little fresh water lobsters.


As for fuel there are options. My car gets twice the gas mileage of the Blazer and the scooter gets over twice the mileage of the car. Between the scooter’s top box and removable saddlebags it can carry over a weeks worth of groceries.


Next winter we probably will use the woodstove a lot more. Oil prices have gone up so much that electric heat is sometimes more economical. It’s likely we’ll shut the whole upstairs down and heat only half the house.


While it’s tempting to get totally focused on the news, don’t do it. There’s a difference between being informed and being overwhelmed. Don’t let the news paralyze you. Do what you can to take care of you and yours.


-Sixbears


No comments:

Post a Comment