StatCounter

Monday, December 5, 2022

No Bad Weather



There’s a saying in snow country that there’s no bad weather, just bad clothes. There is some truth to that. If you have the proper gear even blizzards aren’t that bad. That being said, it’s surprising how many people don’t gear up properly. 


Basically they’ve gotten used to going from a warm house to a warm car. Remote car starters are popular as you can warm up the car before you get in. That’s all well and good until it isn’t. All it takes is for a breakdown or getting stuck to ruin your day. Dress like you might have to walk for miles in bad weather as you just might have to.


My lovely wife used to have a 50 mile one way commute through the mountains to get to work. Winter commutes were pretty bad, especially when she worked the night shifts. Nobody was out on the roads then. She knew she’d be on her own for a while if she got into trouble. She was always dressed for the weather and the car had survival gear like sleeping bags, space blankets, and emergency food and water. 


Currently there’s enough gear in our car that we could set up camp in the snow. Not only do we carry sleeping bags and blankets to keep warm, we even have a winter rated tent in the car. It might seem excessive and we may never use it. However, I’d rather be over prepared than one of those people with a thin jacket, no hat or gloves, and dress shoes. 


-Sixbears


9 comments:

  1. Most people have been conditioned to believe that the government will always be there to take care of them and help is just a cell phone call away. Every year a handful of these morons learn that simply isn't true....and often they learn that lesson by dying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not only do we have bad roads around here, cell coverage is spotty.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the reminder. My car go bag was still disassembled on the spare bed.

    Has been awfully like Fall lately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate going out to rescue folks who did not come to play the full game. That can get even more dangerous than the getting stuck in the snow part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not paid to rescue people anymore. Unless I get a call from a friend or family member I'm not that interested. Getting old I guess -or smart.

      Delete
  4. I have a shorter commute, 30ish miles for about 40 minutes in 1 of 2 directions for my Noon to Midnight hospital job. I also make sure to have some gear to at least warmly camp out in my vehicle if it breaks down. Other skills/gear are also at my side if I break down and all of a sudden I hear banjo music...

    ReplyDelete