StatCounter

Saturday, September 3, 2022

Adventure Travel



I was talking with a friend of mine who works in the school system. A woman teacher’s husband passed away. Looking to do something different she traveled coast to coast on the Trans America Trail in a Jeep. That’s a coast to coast route that avoids highways. A good section of it is dirt roads. There’s some really interesting water crossings and high passes. 


She was able to make it all the way to the Oregon coast. Then the Jeep’s transmission needed to be rebuilt before she took the highways back home. 


That trail is very popular, not only with the 4X4 people but with the adventure motorcycle crowd. One of my favorites is the guy who did the trail on a Honda Trail 125. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUxFPwDWWVA&t=27s


The TAT is pretty famous, but there are also a series of Backwoods Discovery Routes. https://ridebdr.com/


Last year I rode  most of the Maine and New Hampshire segments. Good fun as instead of a big adventure bike I did it on a Honda PCX 150 scooter. Any bike is an adventure bike if you are crazy enough. 


Speaking of crazy, next year they’ll be running the semi-annual Scooter Cannonball Run. https://scootercannonball.com/


It’s a timed checkpoint run across the US on smaller scooters. It’s as wacky as it sounds. That actually tempts me. I want to do a few more crazy things before I’m too old. The logistics involved are daunting so I might end up doing something else. At any rate, I’m working towards doing something nuts next year. 


-Sixbears


4 comments:

  1. One of my favourite books is Blue Highways by William Least Heat-Moon. Not so much crazy as reflective. Still a great adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and The Adaptive Curmudgeon are brothers with different Moms. Both of you enjoy riding the small bikes off road.

    I 2nd Blue Highways, a good read. Americana that is swiftly disappearing and requires searching out.

    ReplyDelete