StatCounter

Monday, September 12, 2022

Harvest food storage



It’s that time of year for me to stock up on potatoes. If you can I recommend you do the same. This week I’m going to talk to a local farmer I know and see if he can set me up with a good supply. There have been shortages in different places for different reasons. Even my local connection didn’t plant as much this year as he had difficulty getting workers. 


It looks bad for rice. Drought hit some rice growing regions pretty hard. Corn was bad in a lot of places. If you are going to stock up you’d better get a move on. When the shortages hit it won’t be the time to fill up your pantry.


I happened to like local potatoes. They keep reasonably well and provide good nutrition. They are cheap and don’t have to be trucked across the whole country. Another local food I like to have in storage is squash. They were what helped the indigenous people get through the winter. 


There are still a few deals on dehydrated foods but you have to look for them. When I say deals I don’t mean bargains -there just happen to be less price gouging going on. 


Recently I was given some dried beans, peas and lentils. There are people who panic buy this stuff and never cook with it. Someone else gave me a good selection of canned beans. Normally I don’t buy canned. While they are cheap, dried is even cheaper. Canned beans are convenient to cook with so I’m definitely using them. 


Right now we’ve everyone’s been pretty much eating last year’s harvest. This year wasn’t great for farmers so don’t get caught flat footed. 


-Sixbears

6 comments:

  1. Yes, the 'Buy Two for Putting Back and One to Consume' mentality will be likely required if you want less trouble later this year. A bit expensive now, but just wait until you see the prices next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's going to be interesting, that's for sure. Buying food now is your best investment.

      Delete
  2. How do you store your potatoes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mud room is cool and dry -that's about all they need.

      Delete
  3. Potatoes a cool dark place works for me.

    6 Bears I WISH more folks would UNDERSTAND what you said.

    We are INDEED eating last year's harvest. Tomatoes are also on the endangered foods list as Cali's harvest is going to be lousy at best (IF they can afford to harvest them at all).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some key items that are definitely worth stocking up on now. I happen to like pasta with tomato sauce so will pick up more tomato paste.

      Delete