StatCounter

Sunday, September 11, 2022

Out of contact



Apparently I’m hard to get hold of. I’m not on social media. I was on Facebook for a short while but caught myself arguing politics with strangers. Talk about a waste of time and energy. My lovely wife is on Facebook but mostly to stay in touch with the kids and grandkids. However, it’s not unheard of her not to check it for a week or so. 


We have a cell phone but it’s usually on a shelf in the kitchen. I can go a long time without checking text messages. Just today I checked the phone and was notified about something “at the last minute.” It happened two days ago. 


We have a land line phone. Until recently there was no cell signal here. The vast majority of the time the phone goes to voice mail. There’s a lot of spam calls and people I don’t care to talk to. However, we will listen to the messages and return calls to those we care about. 


Probably the most reliable way to get in touch is by email. Better yet, by snail mail. 


If I wanted to interact with people all the time I’d live in the city. 


Saturday we actually had someone knock on our door. My lovely wife and I looked at each other and said “What’s that sound?” It was someone local who we’ve known for a long time. 


People sometimes get upset with us not being in constant contact. We just happen to think that the phones, Internet, and computers we pay for are for our own convenience, not someone else’s.


-Sixbears

3 comments: