StatCounter

Tuesday, September 13, 2022

Canary in the Coal Mine



Back in the day before sophisticated tests miners would go down to the mines with a canary. If the canary keeled over it was time to get out of the mine. Canaries are more sensitive to bad air than the average human. 


Thanks to my time in the fire service my lungs are hyper sensitive to pollutants. I’m a human canary. Recently someone decided to spray on some bug repellent. Wind blew the mist my way and I thought I was going to die. In no time at all I was gasping for breath. The coughing was so bad my lungs hurt for days. 


I’m pretty sensitive to bad air. Fortunately I live in in New Hampshire, currently rated the #2 less polluted state. Only Vermont beats New Hampshire and I’m about 20 miles from the Vermont border. Living out in the country in a less polluted state probably saved my life. My lungs had a chance to heal to the point where I normally have a pretty good life. 


Even if you are in good health pollution takes its toll. That constant stress on the body doesn’t do anyone any good. People live with a level of low grade suffering that they sorta get used to. If you never feel quite right you might want to check to see how badly polluted your home area is. It’s worth moving to improve your quality of life. 


-Sixbears

2 comments: