StatCounter

Thursday, February 16, 2023

Everything on the phone



Smart phones are amazing. Ironically the phone part is probably one of the weak links in all things they do. In reality they are powerful little computers. 


My beef is that they are used for more than they should be. 


Let’s take a simple example. Next to where I charge my phone I have a nice powerful rechargeable flashlight. The phone has a flashlight but that’s a poor way to use your phone. It’s pretty awkward to hold your phone in an upright position as a flashlight. It’s easy to drop it that way. A regular cheap stand alone flashlight is easier to use. If you drop it you aren’t damaging an expensive and fragile electronic device.


Then there are gadgets that are just silly. One those things that crosses the line for me is electronic meat thermometers that link up with your phone. Really? Do we need an electronic gizmo when a cheap stand alone meat thermometer works just fine?


Another one is automobile scan tools. I’m not a pro mechanic so the cheap $30 - $40 scan tools do most everything I need. They tend to be in shock resistant rubberized cases. I really don’t want my phone around heavy tools, grease, and fuels. 


If your phone is needed for everything you are big trouble when it breaks. You didn’t lose just a phone, you lost dozens of tools. 


Here’s a pro tip, carry around a small note pad and pencil or pen. You’d be surprised how much handier they can be than taking notes than on a phone. Personally, I feel a lot more creative writing on a pad than thumb typing on the phone. It also has the advantage of being able to jot down information and rip the page out to hand someone. Their are no issues with dead batteries. 


Smart phones are wonderful, but just because they can be used for everything doesn’t mean they should be.


-Sixbears


5 comments:

  1. Ha ha , when you call me . The call comes to a flip phone ( which is usually left on the table , in the living room ). Of course , on another table sets the charging station for the tablet , which is what I use for all on line stuff. Including even texting on messenger, but never ever as a phone, even tho it is capable of that use.
    Neither of which, are rarely carried out of the room.
    I like purposed designated tools myself. Of the best quality I can afford , yet have bang for your buck.
    Why pay a ton for Apple , when a Lenovo does the same for much less ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flip phones actually work better as phones than smart phones do. There are compromises to get all the extras into a smart phone.

      The only reason we have an Apple laptop is that it was given to us. That's a price point where Apple makes sense. :)

      Delete
  2. I think we should rename the smart phone to the "Questionable Devise"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree - smartphone manufacturers are very tricky about making us feel like our phones are extensions of our arms...

    ReplyDelete