StatCounter

Monday, February 20, 2023

Some Days



Sometimes I’m too busy to blog. Saturday was one of those days. 


It had been a full day and I’d been looking to wind down for the evening. Then I got a text from my niece. She was driving my Blazer and she couldn’t get it into gear. We exchanged text messages but she still couldn’t get it sorted. Fortunately she was only a town away. 


She stopped at a gas station and was stuck. Good thing she was parked away from everything and not at the pumps when it happened. There was no figuring it out in the dark. In the end we transferred everything to my car and we came home. 


The rest of the evening was spent doing research on what the problem could be. Thanks to Google and YouTube University I had a plan. I’d suspected, and hoped, it was a simple linkage problem. Had the problem been in the transmission itself that would be the end of the Blazer. There’s only so much money I’m willing to put into a 2004 Blazer. 


In the daylight I was able to find the disconnected linkage and was able to make temporary repairs. It was a relief to be able to drive it home. New parts are on order. 


Since my favorite mechanic retired I find myself doing a lot more of my own repairs. If some untrained Bozo is going to work on it I’d rather that Bozo be me. There are garages I trust for some things but I really don’t have a general all around mechanic anymore. I’m going to have to bite the bullet and find a new guy I trust. 


 . . . but not today. 


-Sixbears

6 comments:

  1. Good Job!

    “It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

    Teddy Roosevelt Citizenship in the Republic

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wife's 220K miles 2006 Lexus ls430 had a nearly completely corroded battery terminal. Not easily fixed with generic part. A vice grip has been working great for a week, even a round trip to Austin last weekend. 350 miles. No issues. (yet)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I drove an old Volvo with a vise gripped throttle cable for months. You do what you have to do.

      Delete
  3. Look out, you might end up being that one fella that you trust to work on the Blazer. YouTube U is a good school.

    ReplyDelete