StatCounter

Saturday, February 25, 2023

Garage Envy



Being a shade tree mechanic isn’t much fun in -11 wind  chill temperatures. Not only is it hard on the mechanic even the parts are more likely to break from the cold. That’s especially true for plastics. That’s why I’ve got a new shifter assembly sitting in kitchen instead of installed on the Chevy. 


I really envy those people with nice garages to work out of. None of friends and family have anything suitable to borrow either. My daughter had a really nice garage built but then sold the house and moved out of state. Dang. 


It’s a good thing I have two cars and don’t really need the Chevy right now. Unfortunately the weather doesn’t look that great for the coming week. When we finally get decent weather I might be involved in something else and won’t be able to take advantage. 


As much as it goes against my frugal nature I’m seriously considering talking to a local repair shop in town. If they quote me a price that’s not too terrible I just might bite the bullet and pay someone to do the job. With the proper tools and a lift it should take less than an hour. 


I’ve done car repairs in sub-zero temperatures before. Once I changed a water pump on a car parked outside my house in the street. After the job was done I discovered the replacement pump was defective from the factory. In the end I did the whole job twice. The things you do when young and broke. 


Now that I’m old and broke . . . 


Anyway, if the winds would die down and the temperature get closer to 30 I just might attempt it. 


Maybe.


-Sixbears


2 comments:

  1. Yes, it sucks to work on anything in the cold wind. I had to hook mine up to the charger again. Finely started let it run. Will start again later in the evening. A good mechanic is as important as a competent physician.

    ReplyDelete