StatCounter

Tuesday, February 21, 2023

It ain’t over yet



We’ve had a fairly mild patch of winter lately -with the exception of a couple of brutally cold days. Just to show how weird it’s been, we went from record cold to record warmth in the space of a week. That ain’t normal. 


Anyway, there’s a fair bit of snow in the forecast for the Great North Woods. I’m of two minds. In a way I’m pretty much over winter and wouldn’t mind more spring-like weather. On the other hand a decent snow pack helps prevent drought conditions. That makes a big difference. Just look at New Hampshire drought maps from previous years and the North Country does better than the rest of the state. 


At one time the Forest Service called Coos County “the asbestos county” as we have fewer and smaller forest fires. I’m sure deep snow packs were one of the reasons for that. 


Even with the predicted snowfall we are not having a particularly snowy year. That could change and March snows could bury us. Heck, April and May have been known to deliver significant snowfalls in the past. Of course, that was the past. Past performance is no indication of future results. 


Shoveling is just part of my winter exercise routine. Looks like I’m in for another workout. 


-Sixbears

5 comments:

  1. Grab yer shovel, a cup of joe, and get ready for some old fashioned go. Shoveling my driveway has become a mystical experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Done with awareness as not to slip and fall snow shoveling is my best thinking time.

    I welcome more water. I just dislike ice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we are lucky we'll get more snow than ice here. -if.

      This winter I've ended up shoveling late at night a few times. I have a headlamp and a high visibility jacket. It's quiet and peaceful.

      Delete