StatCounter

Friday, February 3, 2023

Real Winter



First some good news. My relatives in Texas were just south of the ice line. My father-in-law was able to make it to his cancer treatment and back. 


Here in northern New Hampshire they are predicting -20 Fahrenheit. That’s about -29 Celsius for the rest of the world. The windchill is supposed to be about -50. Just to the south of me on Mt. Washington it will be -100. That’s colder than the average temperature on freaking Mars. (-81 F)


Thursday was a good day to run errands before the deep cold settled in. Cars don’t behave too well when it’s that cold. I’m perfectly happy to stay home. Why put extra wear and tear on my car when I don’t have to? Also, why put extra wear and tear on me. 


This sort of weather was a lot more common when I was a kid. I remember the occasional -40 day. Fahrenheit or Celsius, it doesn’t matter. 


Since my lung injuries I’ve been bothered by cold air. Long before the pandemic I was wearing face masks during cold weather. A good facemask made a big difference for my breathing comfort. These days I just sorta blend in. 


My main concern is about the wind. The last things we need is trees taking down power lines. 


On the bright side there’s much milder weather right behind this cold spell. 


-Sixbears

9 comments:

  1. We've been in the eighties all week here.
    Hope those presto logs keep y'all warm enuff !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I broke down and ordered a heating oil delivery just before the cold snap. I don't want to spend a couple days just feeding the woodstove.

      Delete
  2. -29 F degrees is -33.888 or -34 C degrees according to my fancy shmancy scientific type calculating devise. That's all before the wind blows. I'm wearing my Thermal Undies, aka: Long Johns right now as we decided it was better to bring the kids to school where it is warm and they can be fed. However, this afternoon as we leave the rusted Gates of Hell are supposed to be frozen shut. Don't know how I'm going to get home. 80)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At lunch time I'm heading out to start it up and let her run a bit.

      Delete
    2. Good idea. Just be happy you aren't trying to start a diesel. :)

      Delete
  3. Nasty bit of cold. If the grid fails a lot of folks' homes and businesses will be plumbers' nightmares. I've an extra couple of firewood piles inside the house (to my wife's chagrin) as to be able to keep all the stoves going without an outside trip.

    Be careful out there. A slip on the ice can have you down and hypothermic before your family realizes you've been outside too long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, I've got a pile of wood inside my house now too, even though I decided to use the furnace during the cold snap. Might as well use the furnace as long as the grid's up.

      Delete