StatCounter

Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Local Conditions



Monday evening I went for a 100 mile drive around my area checking out conditions. The rivers are still high, but not dangerously so. While there’s some soft shoulder erosion but the roads are generally good. Northern New Hampshire is doing fairly well. Local climates make a big difference sometimes. Of course, geography plays into it too. 


For a couple years I did a long commute from northern New Hampshire to northern Vermont. There’s a noticeable difference in climate roughly along the Connecticut River. If the roads were bad in Vermont I knew they would be probably be better once I crossed the river. Of course, sometimes it worked the other way around. Once I turned around after just two miles down the road. In Vermont they were wondering where I was as there wasn’t even a storm in that area. 


Then there’s the fact that New Hampshire tends to do a better job of snow removal. That ain’t nothing.


We’ve had heat and humidity, but nothing like the south and west. Our nights have been cool and comfortable so that makes a huge difference. Compared to much of the country, our local conditions have been pretty livable -if wetter than normal. 


-Sixbears

3 comments:

  1. I took a short walk. The ground is saturated squishy. The main reason the neighbor's yard is good for ducks. Fortunately the water is moving towards the river is some of the several underground rivers and streams that we in abundance. Our ground cover has enough root and natural debris to keep the soil fairly set. Crossed fingers and lots of anti-rain dancing and maybe we'll be ok. I do however have an awful lot of water in my basement, more than normal, but it's pumping out. A couple weeks of dry would be nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far it's all something we can deal with. Care to borrow a canoe to paddle your neighbor's yard?

      Delete
    2. That would make a funny wouldn't it? 80)

      Delete