StatCounter

Monday, July 10, 2023

So Much for Fruit



Here in northern New England we had some seriously below zero weather back in February. Then we had a hard frost in May. That took its toll on fruit trees. Some orchards show a 99% lose. That’s unsustainable. 


It varies quite a bit due to micro climates. In fact, the damage can vary from severe to minor in the same orchard. It’s difficult to get hard numbers but I think we are somewhere in the 50% loss area. That’s pretty harsh on business but also impacts our food security. 


What we’ll have to watch is whether or not it’s a rate event or the new normal. Farmers are resilient but there are limits. Absorbing one bad year is doable. Doing that year after year isn’t. 


Of course it’s not just the fruit trees that affected. Looking out at the forest it’s apparent that some areas have a lot of dead leaves. That’s not normal for the summer. I’ve no memory ever seeing it like that before. While humans are concerned about orchards, wild animals need the rest of the forest. There are plenty of wild fruit trees that wildlife depends on. 


I’m curious to see what the wild nut harvest will look like in the fall. 


Of course, we are big nation and get our fruit from all over. If the rest of the country does well it might not be too big a deal at the checkout counter. It is certainly affecting my local apple orchards and I’m going to miss the local products. 


One more thing to keep an eye on.


-Sisbears

3 comments:

  1. 6 Bears like my concern about you getting a antibiotic script for that recurring issue.

    I am concerned that even the reports of weather damage and drought (not well relieved by flooding sad to say) and the flooding bodes very poorly for other farmers production.

    If you can, get a deep larder friend. Worst case scenario is you have to eat it :-).

    Digital dollars continue to buy smaller and more expensive food items in my weekly shopping trips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The food storage continues to grow. I've had to tap into it in the past and learned that one year's storage is not enough.

      Delete
  2. My apple trees are hurting this year. I've got undergrown apples, but I don't think they will mature this years, just to dang wet.

    ReplyDelete