StatCounter

Monday, July 31, 2023

Weird Schedule



Looks like I’m back on the night shift. You know those “early to bed and early to rise” people? I’m not one of them. Growing up school days were always a challenge. It’s not that I had anything against sunrise. Sunrise is often a good time to end my day. Starting at sunrise? No thank you.


Night shifts have always been my thing. That fact that it’s usually calm and quiet is a nice bonus. Too bad most of the world runs on daylight time. It’s not like I can do my business at town hall at 2 a. m.. I suppose there are more options in the big cities, but big cities aren’t my thing either. 


I even used to do a fair amount of night hiking. Some of my best hiking memories are of crossing the Mahoosuc Range under the light of the moon. Good times. 


Night driving is pretty nice too. I’m fortunate that even in my 60s I still have decent night vision. The only big down side of night driving is the number of moose and deer on the move. The best thing to do is to slow down and keep alert.


It’s my guess that there’s always been a few people who are night owls. Someone had to stay awake to feed the fire that kept the wolves at bay.


-Sixbears

4 comments:

  1. I can do either, depends on the schedule. During the school year I'm up early, this summer not so much. All's good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've started and stopped work at every hour of the clock on every day of the week. Working on events happens 24-7. Also done shift work - yes, the night hours are sure a peaceful time to be anywhere, especially a city. Now, I work from home, and my hours are completely at my own whimsy. Which is just as well - all the ailments and associated meds mean for some messed up sleep patterns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you mention messed up sleep, it has been strange for a couple weeks. Weird weather patterns will do that I suppose.

      Delete
  3. I work mid shift in the ER these days, from noon to midnight, so I'm part daywalker...
    It's a weirdly similar mindset to the 24's i used to work.

    ReplyDelete