StatCounter

Tuesday, July 11, 2023

New England Rain Forest


As I write this we are having a long soaking steady rain. It’s been a wet summer. I’m afraid crops will rot in the fields. 


It seems that there are very few days when we aren’t at least at risk for thunderstorms. Sunday it really mattered where you were. At my location we didn’t get thunderstorms at all. I could watch them marching up the mountain ranges to the east and west of me. Heck, I even went for a scooter ride and drove about 30 miles south. Never felt a drop.


My lovely wife, on the other hand, had business up north. She experienced rain so heavy visibility disappeared. Hail came down and roads washed out. 


We are currently under another flood alert. There are times when I’m really thankful of my house’s elevation. The worse that has happened during floods is that all the roads out of my area are cut off. However, being in the hills, the water levels go down fairly quickly. That’s when we find out of there’s any pavement left behind. Sometimes there isn’t. 


The State of New Hampshire has been quietly preparing for a wetter environment. Drainage ditches have been dug deeper. Every time a culvert is replaced they install much larger ones. Those efforts have been put to the test of late.


-Sixbears

2 comments:

  1. My neighbor's yard is a pond at the moment, and my back trees are in water. Dang...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went on a little ride Tuesday. There were some new lakes in Stark and Groveton.

      Delete