StatCounter

Friday, July 21, 2023

Thinning the Herd



Many years ago when I was 17 I was about to purchase my first car. Dad took me aside and gave me a warning that cars would keep me broke. 


I bought the car and didn’t regret it. It needed a lot of work and most of my money to keep it on the road. What it gave me was the opportunity to go where I couldn’t go before. There are places you just don’t take mom or dad’s car. Let’s just say it greatly expanded my dating pool. That’s important to 17 year old males. 


While owning a car was great, dad was right. Cars have been doing a good job of keeping me broke ever since. Of course, it’s not just cars. Just about anything you have to register and insure will do that for you.


Then there’s the time and/or money issue. It takes either a fair bit of money or a fair bit of time to keep vehicles going. With that in mind I’ve decided to thin the motor pool a bit. Instead of fixing up one of my vehicles I’ve put it for sale so someone else can fix it. I just hope it’s not some 17 year old kid with stars in his eyes who buys it. 


-Sixbears

7 comments:

  1. I think we will both keep our old Toyota mini trucks. Mine is 31 yrs old and hers is 23 now. Both are still in great condition and running just fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are great trucks. Even Toyota doesn't build them like they used to anymore.

      Delete
    2. Mine is also 23 years old. Only just run in, should be good for another few decades!

      Delete
  2. Our first cars are like our first loves. You never forget either, and often they travel together. And truth be told, Vehicles and Women both have the potential to keep us in the poor house. That's the way of things...

    ReplyDelete