StatCounter

Monday, June 19, 2023

100 Years in Laconia


This is the 100 year anniversary of Bike Week in Laconia New Hampshire. I’ve been but it’s been a few years -maybe more than a few. I’m certainly not going to go down there on a 150 cc scooter. Heck, back in the day they used to torch a Japanese bike every year. I guess it was a sacrifice to the Harley gods. 


In those days I was on an old KZ-900. It got the job done and got it done very quickly. It even made the  trip up Mt. Washington a couple of times. 


Unfortunately, the last time I went was with an idiot. He was giving a lot of lip to a young skinny part time cop. Here’s the thing about skinny part time cops: they have radios. The cop made a short call on the radio. Soon a plain green panel van pulled up. Three huge raw meat eating New Hampshire State police jumped out. They had my idiot friend trussed up like a Christmas turkey before you could say “drunk and disorderly.” He made a big thud as his 6 foot 250 pound frame hit the floor of the van. 


Let’s just say that’s the last time I hung out with that guy. 


I haven’t been back to the event since, but that’s mainly because I don’t have any other bike riding friends who wanted to go. Guess I’m beyond that now. Still, I’ve some good memories of most of my times at those events.


-Sixbears


2 comments:

  1. 100 year old Laconia Bike Week, the weather was as typical, stormy 4 of the 7 days and that made the drab, drizzly, passing showers other 3 days bearable.

    Good thing humans are so good at forgetting being soaked, cold, and waiting forever to get to a decent toilet, or we'd stop riding in Laconia NH in the shoulder season.

    As my OB Wife might add, that's why the human race continues to survive as childbirth IS safer than it used to be just a few decades ago BUT is misery for the ladies.

    Selective Forgetfulness, a survival trait :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd pick the two best weather days and camp in the area. It also helped to know all the back roads around the worse traffic.

      Delete