StatCounter

Thursday, June 15, 2023

Between showers and thunderstorms


There’s some really nasty weather working its way through the south. While here in northern New Hampshire it’s been wet but we very rarely get tornadoes. I’m fine with that. 


Wednesday we had a pretty good afternoon. The night rains had dried up and the thunderstorms hadn’t moved in yet. I was able to run into the village to get a propane tank filled. It’s funny. My house used to have a fair number of appliances that ran on propane. A 500 pound tank made sense then. Now the only thing on propane is a dryer. The 500 pound tank, and the services fees that went with it, have been replaced with a 20 pound tank. That little tank lasts for months. 


There was just enough time left to change the back tire on my scooter. That tire is a pain as everything from the exhaust to a shock absorber needs to be removed to get to it. I’ve gotten pretty good at doing the job. Last time I set the tire bead using a small starter fluid explosion. While that was fun and effective, it’s not really safe. This time around the bead was set using a CO2 cartridge. That worked almost as well and nobody lost their eyelashes. 


Just as the exhaust bolts were going on the thunder started in the distance. Everything was buttoned up and under cover about three minutes before the storm hit. 


Good fun.


-Sixbears

7 comments:

  1. So, how does the world look without eyelashes? 80)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hardly fried them at all, thanks to the safety glasses. Do not recommend.

      Delete
    2. It's sounds so much fun though. 80)

      Delete
  2. 6 Bears your braver than I thought using starter fluid for an explosive bead sealing.

    We had a bit of hail here but from my morning walk around nothing much aside from leaves and such down was noted.

    What kind of scooter requires so much disassembly to change a tire? I want to know so I DON'T buy that model.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just about all of them require a lot of work to get to the rear tire. The CVT style transmission is the issue. For the record mine is a Honda PCX 150.

      Delete
    2. Last year I was tired and stupid and very frustrated when I resorted to explosive bead setting. While I got away with it, that's partly luck. Also, heavy gloves, safety glasses and a heavy jacket.

      Delete
  3. 6 bear do you replace your scooter tires yearly?

    Last year explosive bean setting, this year CO2 setting?

    ReplyDelete