StatCounter

Saturday, June 24, 2023

Destructive Testing


I’ve been following the Scooter Cannonball. https://scootercannonball.com/


One of the things I’ve really enjoyed is watching the behind the scenes videos. Much of that is field repairs, which I’ve paid close attention to. The YouTube guy Quazi Motard has put out some good stuff. https://www.youtube.com/@QuasiMotard He’s currently running a Honda PCX 150 much like my own. 


I’ve learned is that it’s probably a mistake to stray too far from Honda original parts. Seeing Quazi’s scooter transmission grenade on the highway was eye opening. The after market parts gave better performance, but didn’t go the distance. 


Endurance events are a good way to figure out how good different vehicles are when the going gets tough. I’m checking out scooters with this event, but I’ve followed boat events and 4X4 rallies. Often you find the most popular and/or most expensive do worse than less expensive options. 


For example Vespa scooters are stupid expensive. However, they’ve been falling apart during the Scooter Cannonball. Many are plagued by electrical issues. Even things that really shouldn’t go wrong are going wrong. Freaking tail lights are rattling out of their mountings and falling apart. While they are fast they don’t really handle that well in the corners. 


We love our vehicles. When the going gets tough we don’t want them to fail. If they do fail we need to know how to make repairs. Endurance events put things to the test. Years of normal wear and tear can happen in a matter of days. It’s a great learning experience. When I spend my limited dollars I don’t want a garage queen that can’t handle the real world. 


-Sixbears


4 comments:

  1. There's something about an attractive woman that knows how to handle a wrench that is alluring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you can afford the $3500 entry fee you ain't got "limited dollars".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is kinda pricey. Didn't know it was that high.

      Delete
    2. The fee is $350. $3500 is an estimate what the whole event would cost, including shipping the scooter, flying to and from the event and staying in hotels. Many do it for much less than that. One guy this year did the event with $700. I'm assuming he's already paid the entrance fee, but I'm not sure. It's not like you are going to spend a fortune on gas with those little engines. The next event is in 2025 so I'm putting a little aside each month to get ready.

      Delete