StatCounter

Monday, June 26, 2023

How old is too old?


The Scooter Cannonball just finished up. There were a lot more gray haired -or no haired people at the finish line than not. The oldest participant I’m told was 84. Plenty of grandparents did the event. That’s pretty impressive when you consider it’s a coast to coast endurance event on small displacement scooters. 


Frankly, it gives me hope. 


So what does it take to finish an event like this? Endurance is a big one. There’s pain involved here. However if your body hurts everyday anyway might as do something interesting. A good part of these sort of events is mental toughness. It’s the ability to get up every morning and put the miles in. 


You don’t really need a whole lot of physical strength as you are on a motorized vehicle. However, when you dump your heavily loaded scooter on a dirt road it has to be picked up again. Those dirt sections took their toll, sending a number of riders to the hospital. Most scooters aren’t exactly dirt bikes. 


When I was a kid I did a lot of canoe and kayak racing. There were slalom and white water down river events. One old guy in his 80s always competed. He never won, but always finished -usually somewhere in the middle of the pack. The man was a legend. 


So what do you want to do with your golden years? Sit around watching TV while waiting to die? For me, I hope to be well enough to keep having adventures. 


Sure, you could get seriously injured or even die. There are worse ways to go. We are all going to die sooner or later anyway. No need to give up before the Grim Reaper comes to your door. 


-Sixbears

8 comments:

  1. turned 70 not too long ago... Still grappling with the question that has always persisted
    that being; what do I want to do when I grow up?

    I don't have a self view that I've fully grown up I guess.

    That I haven't yet had one answer, I want to be an engineer which turns out to be a broad term. Yet I still persist. That being several types of engineer. Also Pilot, Boat owner, Motocross racer, and the list goes on and will continue.

    I just cant stop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The adventures change but they can still continue.

      Delete
  2. How old is to old. When your shaking hands with the Grim Reaper as he's taking you to your next adventure, Some of us know the Reaper personally. 80) To old? Hell no we won't go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm 75 and just bought a new motorbike. I've been riding for 55 years and have never one for groups, rules and peer approval so I'm not waiting for the next cannonball run, I'm riding my own routes and making memories every day. You might consider doing the same...by 2025 you could be dead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After I reached a certain age my father would give me a copy of, "Zen and the Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance." Just before he passed I received a hard bound signed copy. My dad was a prof of English Lit. He knew people. I can understand your love of the road on you're own terms. Being a Lone Wolf has it's benefits and is very enlightening.

      Delete
    2. I've been knocking off segments of BDR routes on my scooter and having a blast -solo. Just thinking it might be fun to be part of a group event for a change.

      Delete