StatCounter

Thursday, June 29, 2023

The Doctor



I hate going to the doctor. My experiences with the medical system has been generally negative. Fortunately, I’ve a decent relationship with a doctor I actually like and respect now. He listens to me and that’s rare. 


You know when you are younger and get injured? Then you recover. Along comes some old dude. With a knowing glint in his eye he says, “You’re going to feel that when you get older.” 


That old SOB knew what he was talking about. Leg injuries sustained when I was younger caused circulation issues in recent years. Leg wounds take their own sweet time to heal. The healing process mimics that of a diabetic but my blood sugar is normal. I’ve learned what works to help the healing along. 


The only glitch in the system is that sometimes the wound gets infected. That happened and I can’t buy antibiotics over the counter. Hence the trip to the doctor. (Yeah yeah, I know about fish antibiotics) 


So I’ve started on a course of powerful antibiotics and should start healing up in a few days. 


The thing is I knew that I should have been taking better care of myself. I decided to deal with other commitments instead of taking it easy. Now I’m paying for it. Fortunately the medical system, for all its faults, has developed some decent medicines.


In a world without antibiotics preventing infections is critical. I screwed up this time but thank goodness there’s modern treatments. We should not take them for granted. 


-Sixbears

8 comments:

  1. Would be prudent if you have a good working relationship with your DR to get a emergency stash of antibiotics in case your snowed in with that reoccurring issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Working on it. At least I have a doctor I can talk to. That's a big change.

      Delete
  2. I had one of them old fart docs when I was young. The team doc said the same thing to me, "You're going to feel that when you get older." Guess what, I feel that all over the place. That old, "Bastard" Occupational hazards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We all get told that 'back then'. Did we listen? No, we were having too much fun. No regretting what got you to here and now though. Will today's kids listen? The smart ones, yes. The thrillseekers, no. And they will bitch in pain in decades to come. Just like us...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And they call this enlightenment? shheesh. 80)

      Delete
    2. Every generation has to repeat a certain number of mistakes the previous generation made. Hopefully a few less. :)

      Delete